Advertising Tips and Tricks
Advertising is a great way to get the word out about your business, an event, or anything you would like. Through the University of Cincinnati, advertising with The News Record not only will get the word out to faculty and students, but will also help benefit the student-run organization.
In addition to the weekly print tabloid, The News Record launched a newly redesigned website in October, and also uses their Twitter account to get the news out and to have advertisements.
- Digital advertising has a lot of benefits. One benefit is linking certain things to your advertisement. For example, if you are hiring people for your business, you can include a link in your advertisement to your website or application. This is a good way to encourage traffic to your website.
- When advertising, it is important to use keywords or phrases that are short and calls to action. Words like “free,” “don’t miss,” “easy” and “limited time” are also important words that grab the attention of the audience as well as opening the door for people to look further into what you are advertising.
- Another thing that is important to be aware of is search engine optimization (SEO). This means choosing words that are heavily searched. For example, using the word “you” to direct yourself to YouTube. If you use “you” in your advertisement, then your advertisement might show up if someone simply types “you.” The most important thing with SEO is to do your research. For effective SEO use, research what your competitors do and how effective it is for them; gather data with different SEOs; and most importantly what keywords are successful and what keywords you should skip.
- Be aware of the time you are posting if you are advertising digitally. The time you post on a website or on Twitter can either drive impressions of your tweet or not.
- Effective advertising takes trial and error. Depending on your audience and how you are advertising, it is important to be conscious of what is successful and what is not. Gathering data is important to move forward, so remember that while advertising. Even if you are unsuccessful, it is important to know what you were doing that made it unsuccessful. Learning from the mistakes you’ve made and learning from what you did well are two of the most important things to keep in mind while advertising.
Author: Grace Maxwell, Undergraduate Consultant